Thursday, March 23, 2017

Rock Wall

 LZ1 had a fantastic opportunity to challenge themselves by climbing the rock wall that came to school today.
They found they had to concentrate and think of others, believe in themselves and 'push through' to be able to succeed. They found it was 'easy to give up' and 'hard to keep going'. But, according to climb master Jeff, you need to change what you're doing in order to succeed. Everyone was urged to encourage others and it felt good to help others achieve.









We used the experience to begin to create some pieces of writing for different purposes. Some descriptive pieces to entertain, some informative and some to persuade Mrs Committie to invite the Rockup Adventure Activity back to the school again. Watch out here as more examples are added.....

The Climb.

The cold wind whipped my face, as though I was a mistreated circus animal. My body was at full length my spine was at its full extent, reaching for the buzzer with my sweat soaked hand. The encouraging yells of classmates down below urging me on. I dared not go further the next hand hole seemed infinitely far for my outstretched legs I took a last swing at the buzzer miscalculating it a gust of wind hit me, with a dash of frustration I was knocked over like a bowling pin. I fell abseiling to the ground below.

It was the 23rd of March and LZ1 took turns taking on the troubling rock wall. The school’s field was wet and cold under my feet. The intentions of the wall seemed marvelous it seemed that building confidence and having fun was the perfect combination for all the kids eager to have a turn. .....


by Max M.


Rock Wall

“Password?”
“Buckle up,Stay safe!”
“Ok come in,stay in the grass area and wait for Jeff.”
Jeff helps Zoe connect the hook to the harness and she speeds up the rock wall making sure each rock is safe before she grabs hold,she reaches the top in no time,presses the buzzer and is on her way down.

“Come on Zoe hurry up my turn!”
We go out the exit gate into the grassy area and unbuckle Zoe and release and tighten the harness to fit me.
“Password?”
“Buckle up,Stay safe!”
“Go towards the exit and turn to your left and wait there,ok?”
“Yep!”

We scurry over towards rock wall 3&4.
I rush up the wall ready to reach the buzzer…
But I can’t the next one is up too high I try to leap but fear holds me back.
‘I can’t do it I give up’ I think to myself I let myself let go and slowly near the ground stand up grab Jeff’s attention,I dash out of the exit and hand the harness over to Zoe.

We repeat the process at least four times. On Zoe’s fifth turn we only have 1 minute and we start to count down 3 Zoe’s nearly at the top, 2 reaching out, 1 buzzzzzzz!
Yes she did it just in a nick of time!!!

I feel jealous of Zoe’s abilities but I also feel proud of myself for being the one encouraging her all the way , as she made her way up to the top.

By Chaeyoung Melitz Kim


My first steps up the wall I was quivering fearfully. My target was to make it to the top. I saw other people at the top already, I heard shrieks and chuckles as they were going down and up. The rocks felt warm, as I was trying to find another place to settle my hand. When I was so near to the top, the air smelt warm . When I realized I'd made it to the top, I slammed down the buzzer 5 times! I felt so proud and magnificent. I had achieved my goal.
Leah


1 comment: